While most of our interviews with tourism sustainability professionals are via email, from time to time we have the opportunity to visit destinations and to talk to tourism entrepreneurs, managers or developers face-to-face, perhaps even observe them ‘in action’.
With the Sustainability Leaders Project ON TOUR we introduce you to destinations around the world and share examples of sustainability entrepreneurship and management at those destinations.
Below some of the destinations we have visited so far.
Stories of sustainable tourism leadership in Queensland, Australia, collected during our destination visit during July-August 2015:
- Jon Kane on how YHA Australia approaches sustainability
- Responsible Whale Watching in Hervey Bay
- Challenges of building an Eco-Lodge and Sanctuary Retreat in Mission Beach
- Responsible tourism at Skyrail Rainforest Cableway, Cairns
- Building destination from scratch: Lady Elliot Island, Great Barrier Reef
São Tomé and Príncipe
Stories linked to our destination visit of São Tomé and Príncipe during September 2015:
- Overview – welcome to Biosphere destination Príncipe
- Biosphere reserve taking shape: Interview Antonio Abreu, UNESCO scientific advisor
- Ensuring hotel quality and sustainability through certification: Interview Estrela Matilde
- How Bom Bom Island Resort became the first Biosphere-certified hotel in Africa: Interview with hotel manager Sergio Duarte
- How Omali Hotel has become a sustainability oasis in São Tomé: Interview with hotel manager Jose Ferreira
- Building Destination Príncipe: Interview with Philippe Moreau, Tourism Lead
Our thanks to HBD Principe for facilitating this destination visit, and to TAP Airlines for supporting our visit of São Tomé and Príncipe with two complimentary return flights.
As tourist destination, Barcelona doesn’t need much of an introduction. Lesser known are the city’s efforts to strengthen its sustainable tourism credentials. We visited Barcelona in October 2015 and spoke to local government, tour- and hotel businesses, and the destination marketers.
- Introducing Destination Barcelona
- How Barcelona City Council works towards a more sustainable tourism: Interview with Xavier Suñol Ferrer
- How Park Guell in Barcelona avoids overcrowding: Interview with Mayra Nieto
- Sustainable through innovation and smart building desing: Interview with Ignasi Uñó Pérez, Manager TwentyTu Hostel
Our thanks to Barcelona Turisme and participating companies for facilitating our destination visit and expert interviews.
Based in Vitoria-Gasteiz, Europe’s Green Capital 2012, late in 2015 we spent a week in beautiful Basque Country, spoke with entrepreneurs, regional government and destination marketers, in addition to attending the Cumbre Mundial de Turismo Sostenible, a two day international conference organized by Basquetour, the Instituto de Turismo Responsable (Biosphere) and the Global Sustainable Tourism Council.
- Destination Basque Country: Sustainable tourism strategies, stories, examples
- Las Casas de EA ASTEI: Pioneers in energy efficiency
- Agroturismo Arkaia: Accessible tourism champion
- Lurdeia: Pioneers in ecotourism and organic agriculture